Thursday, May 7, 2009

packing

And catching up on sleep. I had several short sleeps in a row. Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep well on Monday night, so woke up feeling crappy on Tues. Tues, it turned out that I was training someone so ended up staying late at work, hyped up on tea, and got maybe 3 hrs of sleep that night. Wed, I was even more of a zombie, and things got more and more surreal. I was at the hospital for a while--I applied to be a volunteer, so had to go through orientation--and after about three and a half hours, I found myself not quite getting my question across at an info desk in the neuro ward, long story. I was a bit lost. Then I was watching someone's physio session, which was cool, but I kept having to remind myself to focus. Later on, I was walking the dog and feeling a strong urge to drop and sleep where I fell. It was one of those days where I wanted to step off the train a little to catch my breath.

Fortunately, I slept about 10 hrs last night, and will sleep a lot more tonight, hopefully! I'm still feeling sort of pessimistic about this ultra, but I think that's normal.

I bought bodyglide for the drop bags and bandaids. Also wasted 8 bucks or whatever on spray-on bandage. I tried it out on my hand--imagine the heaviest head-spinning marker fumes ever. On the one hand, I don't think it'll work well as a bandage, but if I really need to not be present anymore after mile 40 or so (I don't mean dead, just on a trip), it might come in handy. So I guess I'll put it into the last drop bag. LOL. Along with my canned coffee and ginger ale. I have no idea what else I want to eat, and they'll have bananas and chicken broth at least which will suit me.

I guess I'll put spare socks and a spare pair of shoes in the drop bags, too. And a spare bra/tank top/pair of shorts. Why not? I think I won't be wearing much:

Saturday
Partly sunny. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the mid 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.


This thing might get pretty mucky! Should bring gloves--my hands get cold. And I definitely need to remember to bring the headlamp.

Well, this post has turned into my to-do list!

No comments: