Friday, November 7, 2008

upper body workout

Today was an easy day. No run with the dog, just a walk. I forgot to keep track of the dog tally, but everyone was pretty much well behaved.

And then I jogged with some friends. I think I jogged about six miles in total.

And then I had the upper body workout of the year. Just one rep. My arms and chest are still sore. I had to pull my dog off a cat....I'd checked the backyard before letting him out, and it was clear, and then about five or so minutes after I'd let him out, I'd heard this big racket, so I run out. My dog and a cat are tussling. A vision of this cat getting disemboweled smacks me, so I haul my dog off and into the house. The mean ass cat sticks around and yowls and hisses at me when I try to get closer to assess its condition. I think it's fine, and the owners came running to collect it and to apologize. It had gotten out, and for some reason, it decided to go onto the deck where my dog was. It scratched up my dog pretty good; it looked to be starting to lose by the time I got there, but my dog didn't manage to bite it.

Now my dog's out of sorts. We disinfected his scratches so he should be fine, although his pride's probably wounded. he emptied his anal glands, too and smells now....he was pretty worked up.

I suspect we'll use the gentle leader on the next run, until I see how he reacts to other cats. Sucks, especially since it took him several months to be cool with cats after the last time he had a tussle with them: he didn't use to pay much heed to them, but then my husband brought him to his mom's house and her two 20-pounders pounced on him. These cats kill many things and once even cornered a possum. They whupped my dog well and he didn't forget. So we'll see how he is after this cat. I'm really surprised I managed to pull him away like that, and I don't think I could do it again. My arms are aching now. It was one of those lift-the-car-off-your-kid things. A good jolt of norepinephrine.

No comments: