Saturday, May 4, 2013

No ghost dog

Today, the Triplet.  And, since it's May, we did it four times.

The run started off really well.  It was one of those days where the good zone was within the first few steps of the start.  Like stepping into a pool of water that is the perfect temperature.

And so, I slackened too much, failed to prep for the Triplet, and went through it the first two times in a sort of disengaged manner.  It had rained a bit earlier this morning, and so the footing was as good as it gets too, which further withered concentration.  Oh, steep hills, let's check out during these, see you later.  But that's not the point!!

After self-admonishment and reminders, mainly about breathing and hip drive and feeling strong through the shoulders and certain muscles that run roughly from my armpits to my hips--we've made an acquaintance recently but haven't been formally introduced--I went through the Triplet two more times in a much more solid and strong manner.

I even jogged back up the long hill after it, successfully finding a measure of comfort during it (this being another goal).

And then, weights and the daily double.  All solid, especially mentally.  I'm growing more and more fond of the focus.  My hands go round the bars, I squat, and prep, a few deep breaths, a reminder that I could hurt myself, and then this amazing clear space where I imagine the motion and nothing else at all.  And then I go through it.

The only low point was more internal sloshing during the sit-ups, but it was manageable today.  I could probably cut back a bit on my fluid intake between weights reps.

No comments: