Friday, May 31, 2013

Back in the saddle

During Monday night, I had a small setback.  It felt another cyst rupture, fortunately not major.  I just stayed put and let it rip.  Tuesday, I was useless.  Mostly napped on the couch.  Wednesday, I walked with the dog, and that was a trip.  I was still a bit feverish.  Thursday, another walk, this time with just a headache.

Last night, I fell asleep to the sound of guns, and I guess that and the lack of exercise disordered my sleep, because I woke up before six.  I hadn't fully recovered, but it was on.  Can't waste a magic hour early rise like that, especially with a predicted high of 30 C.  I grabbed the dog and hit the major, and flatter, road around here for a change.  I've run back home on it, but have never done a full run on it.

Unfortunately, it's mostly a slight downhill going out, and thus the reverse going back, and the ground was a bit soft and moist, but it was only 18C and the sun wasn't fully up.  It was surprisingly refreshing even though I miscalculated slightly: I should have walked up the initial hill instead of letting my breathing get jacked up right at the start because, once it's elevated, I tend to keep it there.  And I shouldn't have run that far.  I was running pretty low by the end.

I got home and was shocked to find out that the run was under a 1/2 hour.  3.7 miles, I think.  Mind you, that was pretty close to tempo effort.  If I start off more sensibly, I think this is the easy route I've been longing for.  There are no steep inclines on it apart from that short nasty bit right at the beginning.

And then I did arm/shoulder exercises, and that went well too.  No daily double until stuff settles internally, but I think I'm back, even though the headache has also returned too.  This is why I have to work out.  My innards are a ticking bomb; the thicker the bunker, the better. The first time I had a major incident, it took me at least a month to bounce back.  Mind you, it was worse, and I wound up in the hospital with septis and anemia, but it hadn't helped that I hadn't been living the healthiest life before that.  This was the alarm that actually started me running more than ten years ago.

No comments: