Tuesday, December 24, 2013

recovering

My back's still a little tender, but it turns out that sitting is far worse than running.

This morning, I went to a gym on post for the first time.   There are several gyms to choose from, and I was wondering if they each have a different atmosphere, but I ended up going to the most convenient one.  I had the women's locker room all to myself and then I wandered down past the squash courts and whatnot to a large room with weights and Nautilus machines and, yay, a few treadmills.   There were a bunch of guys in there of various ages (military retirees can also use the gym) but mostly on the weights.  One of the treadmills was free.  

I put my headphones on and jogged for an hour.  Hopefully there wasn't a 30-minute limit or whatever.

As I was leaving, I saw another woman in there doing something with dumbbells.  Nice to see!  It would have been cool to try more things out but my spazzstastic mishap might put me off the iron for a bit.  I'm honestly surprised that I was able to run without any issues today.  The worst was a tiny faint hint of the left leg issue, not much at all.  My back didn't complain.  

It was toasty in there though!  I would've worn my one remaining singlet, but it's a bit bloodstained (from that time something stung me in the forest).

Later on, I was sitting on a bench checking my texts and I noticed someone standing by me.  It was an old but fit guy who had been on one of the other treadmills.

"See you tomorrow?"  Fist bump.  I've gotten the nod a few times but this was my very first gym stranger fist bump, I think.

I explained with regrets that I don't go on post that often, but I would be thinking of him tomorrow.  Later on, I remembered that tomorrow is Christmas.  Sure doesn't feel like it!  Hopefully he gets his workout in.

Anyway, the gym had a good atmos.  Pretty relaxed.  Most people had headphones on.  But still serious.  Everyone I saw had worked up a good honest sweat.  Too bad there wasn't a colder room to run in, but I suppose that wouldn't get as many toxins out.  LOL


No comments: