Sunday, December 8, 2013

Mantracker!

It was raining and my left leg is still sort of messed up, so the dog and I went to the smaller, closer forest, and the rain turned to a downpour.

I figured that it might be a good opportunity for him to go off-lead.  This doesn't happen very often; I can't even remember the last time.  Basically, the weather has to be so crappy that I assume that nobody else is out.

However, when we got there, the gate was unlocked.  It doesn't bar people, just cars.  Perhaps a ranger unlocked it to back a truck in, then forgot it.  I didn't think the paths were wide enough for a truck.

However, once I got to a clear section, I saw new tire tracks.  ooo, let's find the truck!

To my amazement, running felt fine.  I felt sloppy about picking my left foot up over roots, though...I guess that was the problem.  I have to earn more clearance the hard way, not just sort of tilt my foot sideways. 

The ranger drove through an intersection ahead of us, and then slowed down.  We were still a fair ways off though, so we didn't catch him or her (incidentally, one of the female rangers might be a runner too).

Our jog/walk/mantracking was about 20-25 minutes, mostly in pouring rain. 

And then, weights.  A REALLY good workout.  The garage is cold and the Philly-Detroit "Snow Bowl" is on.  There's about six inches of snow on the field; football has turned from "something that other people watch" to a major source of buoyant joy.  I did the floor and dumbbell exercises in front of the TV, and went to the garage for the heavier stuff during commercials.

I'm almost back to my old numbers.  Things went so well that I thought about loading a bit more on the power cleans but, no, I have to be patient and add another couple of reps or so before I attempt it.  At any rate, muscle tinglies now.

EDIT: the best article I read about the Snow Bowl: bring it on!   Plus, whining about fans throwing snowballs.

No comments: