Friday, March 1, 2013

Short and sweet

Zwow #56 is only 8 minutes long.  I don't have a jump rope and my dumbbells are still in a box somewhere in the garage, so I guess what I did was a dummy workout, like calling a cycle with an empty chamber a dummy load.  Dunno!  Anyway, my dummy workout was still tough enough.  High knees are still high knees and I'm still breathing kind of hard.

Before that, we hit the roads and it was great running weather, about 4C and sunny.  I enjoyed the run more than I thought I would: I'd assumed that running down spread-out residential streets would be boring, and it was to a certain extent, but the pines and the dormant grass make this seem like another place.  Parts of it looked sort of like Calgary, other parts looked like Northern Ontario, and sometimes I could imagine I was in Colorado.   And then we passed by some goats.  Very cool.

I diverted from the plan a bit: I got bored with the residential streets and decided to stay on one of the main roads.  The speed limit is 45 versus 35 miles but the shoulders are considerably wider, not to mention that drivers seem much more attentive (we've already seen one woman driving in our neighbourhood in the middle of the road completely turned around in her seat--I think she was feeding her kids, but YIKES!) and I was in the mood for some straight lines.  Pining for the Midwest?  There were a couple of loose dogs but they didn't come after us nor even close to their bounds.  Maybe they have underground electrical fencing. 

This was the first run I've done totally off trails here, and it went better than expected.  I'm going to be exploring some loops.  There were a few long hills, including one I ended up walking a portion of, but the terrain is a smooth break from the trails. 

Total: about an hour.  I'll be taking some more ZMA tonight for sure.

No comments: