Thursday, March 21, 2013

Mind over matter

I am battling hours of doubt: am I not too old to still be learning stuff like this?  And why am I more concerned about the correct pronunciation of Huygens' name than his principle anyway?

Exam prep has mired me physically.  I fell asleep while watching an MIT lecture (optics: the instructor dimmed the lights for a demonstration, that's what I'm blaming), and the most sensible thing to do when I woke up was to continue watching it.   The most physically demanding thing I've done in the past few days was zip up a hill on a bike I was testing, but even then I was coasting.  This particular bike was too big for me and since it was my very first time using drop bars, I nearly plowed into a parked car while reaching for the brakes, but the horror and the joy kicked up my heart rate.  This bike devours road!  It chugs hills!  It bikes itself, and one of its smaller sisters is heading my way!  The original plan was to get a car, and I probably will once I get through exams and into a job, depending on the hours...will see how it goes with the bike and paniers for the time being.  Hopefully the car will end up costing less than the bike, like the last one.  Drag out your student beater specials, folks!

Meanwhile, I'm entranced with the bike, particularly since it hasn't arrived yet. 

My right arm is sore from umpteen tossed balls in our newly fenced-in yard.

No comments: