Monday, March 18, 2013

guns at dawn

Very large artillery, fortunately a few miles away.  There has been an especially loud ruckus recently, including volleys of the most deafening armaments.  Before then, the big booms had been mostly singular.

Some guys are over putting in a fence, and I had to get our run and my shower out of the way before they arrived.  We set out on the trails in pre-dawn wet fog.  Two slightly twisted ankles in short succession later, I was reminded of the lessons learned during the 5 am jogs in Kansas, and I loosened up my feet.  Go slow and expect surprises.  The sand here is pale, but the roots are hidden by debris in places.  Fortunately, my ankles are flexible enough that a wrench or two, or more, doesn't matter.  I found it more of an adjustment to look closer to my feet, a futile vigilance during some stretches, but helpful in others.

The sky gradually lightened and I could see very well on the second loop (we stuck to the inner trail this run where the footing is more predictable).  I was able to go a bit faster, and this pushed my breathing on the uphills, which made me realize how easy the first circuit had been.  So maybe I can have an easy run here after all, if I control my ego.

There was nobody else in the forest, although we passed someone with a dog on the street outside it.

During the past weekend, it was summer (highs in the low-mid 20s C), and I didn't do much except study outside on the screened-in porch.

No comments: