Friday, March 22, 2013

plying worst expectations

When we ran up to the forest today, we found two minivans in the parking lot.

In general: car = loose dog.  Actually, of all the dogs I've seen in there, only two were on leashes (and they belonged to the same couple), therefore: dog = loose dog.

However, sometimes people drive down to walk their kids there...I guess...this is actually just an assumption, really.

However, the vehicles looked like the ones that were present the two times I'd seen a particular loose dog, the black female that won't give my dog the time of day.  That was reassuring, but I still felt a bit on edge.  And thus I couldn't get into the zone at first.

However, the edge distracted me from other things, including hills.  I got to the top of one trail as easily as if it had been flat, and then it was the slow decline past the Proctors down to the road, and then to a trail intersection: this is one of my favourite stretches and surely it appeals to others.

However, no dogs ran up to us.  We headed for the Triplet, and the same out of body mojo got us up the prelim hills and then, man, we slammed the Triplet hard.  It was great! I had enough juice to keep running past it, albeit along the easier option.

However, we walked up out of the ravine (both times).  The goal for next week is to keep running up this beast.  I tried to remember the breathing tips I've been working on.

However, it became apparent that, on the easy sections, I not only have to remember to force the bad air out, but to also relax, let my ribs float upward with the inhalation; basically, get a good lungful of good air too.  With this lesson re-affixed, we tackled the Triplet again.

However, the footing on the first hill became strangely slightly problematic this time.  The loose needles became 100X slipperier, but I remembered to keep my steps quick and my core engaged, and we got up and pushed through the rest of the Triplet with not too much sagging.  The last hill has definitely become easier.  A promising sign!

However, the long slow hill after the Proctor loop back to the main trail was 7-odd minutes of deepening discomfort.  That really took me by surprise.  I guess I blew more of my energy on the Triplet this time.

However, that's how it should be!

70 minute run, and then I did my modified zwow #12, pistol squats and etc (I've substituted all of the other exercises!  I need clamshells and the deltoid raises more than burpees or whatever at this point).  And this was a solid effort.  I set myself lower and more steadily on the squats, and pushing up seemed harder than before.  I was inhaling so sharply that my teeth hurt like they do when the wind's especially cold in winter.  And there was a curious moment during one particularly punishing rep--I set myself well, but started feebly without the usual starting bang or its generated momentum so there was a split second when my quad muscles were suddenly left with a terrible load--and I felt this high pitched buzzing whine on the back of my skull. What the heck was that?  Some slacker neuron finally pressed into duty?  But, hey, I do these sorts of exercises partially because of all the mysteries they unlock.

I think I'm getting stronger, at any rate!

Oh, yes, and the temp this morning was a reassuring -4 C.  Maybe summer won't be so bad?  Ha!  But I still have at least a month in which to toughen up.







No comments: