Wednesday, March 6, 2013

flying too close to the sun

Tues: just walked.  Tired!

Today, jogged for almost an hour.  We tried out a new loop and I missed a turn and ended up on a road I wasn't planning on running on--it was fine, and there were a couple of people walking on the shoulder so I wasn't way out there.  It was just a bit too busy for the dog's preferences.  He's gotten better about diesel trucks but...

Sad story time.  When we got this dog, he was about a year and a half old, and apparently his prior scumbag owners managed to find the time to cut his ears off with scissors and leave other scars, but they didn't walk him outside or socialize him in any way or even feed him regularly.  Basically, we wound up with a dog that flipped his shit over plastic bags, cars, cracks in the road, electrical boxes, leaves, etc.  My first couple of weeks walking him were just circles, ok, let's take another pass at this, see, no prob!  And he caught on but he just doesn't extrapolate very well (better than the koi, as it turns out).  So a black plastic bag was entirely different from a white plastic bag, and a diesel truck was a completely foreign monster.   The trick with many things is to make the very first time as pleasant as possible: unfortunately, when he saw and heard his first diesel truck, he panicked, ran into me, I tripped over him, and I yelled because I hit the concrete knees first, which rather hurt.

It took several years to undo the perception that diesel trucks are out to maul us, and we still have our moments.  So I try not to take him on busy roads.

Anyway, the run was tough but I think the magic is finally starting to come back: on the last big hill, I actually managed to push up hard enough that the discomfort went somewhere else.

And then I did zwow #47, which I'll be doing again.  It's simple and short and tough, and has squats.  The exercises are simply two alternating sets.  One is weighted squat jumps, the other is a combo of superman pushups and ab-splitters or whatever those exercises are called, I forget.  I am sloppy with exercise names.  I just found out that my favourite nautilus machine, the seated hip ab/adductor machine, is also called the yes no machine.  LOL.  Anyway, zwow #47 is a super workout.

No comments: