Monday, March 4, 2013

The Triplet

Yesterday: walk
Today: 40ish min jog and zwow 12/pistol squats.  I feel much better already.

I've mentioned the triplet before: it's three steep hills in quick succession.  It was rather brutal the first few times I've ran it, and still is, but I've gotten more into the spirit of it.  I run it the hard way (net uphill) because that's the way my loops go, and the first hill is the worst one because the footing is loose pine needles, a bit slippery even when dry, and I really have to focus on keeping my stride rate quick instead of trying to dig in.  Maybe this is why I don't run the other way!  And then a quick short downhill, just several flying steps, and hill #2 is half swallowed-up with momentum, but it rears its noxious bulk in time for several seconds of scramble, and then another downhill, a bit longer and less steep where I stretch out a bit more, and finally #3, which curves slightly and coyly, and by this point, I'm breathing exhaustively and I have to remind myself again to keep up my stride rate, and the flood of endorphins helps, not only with hill #3 but the trail beyond it, which is an immediate and additional uphill, but longer and more gradual, and I'm getting better at catching my breath on this.  That's when it's time for the period!  Not before.  The triplet goes by that quickly.

I am getting better with my modified pistol squats too.


No comments: