Thursday, February 28, 2013

Summing up, a break from Eucledian n-space

Sat: walked for a while
Sun: ran for a 1/2 hour, walked for a couple (to-from town).  It was a clammy day and I had breathing issues during the run and had to cut it short.  And then I had a bit of SVT after it.  Not a good day.
Mon: walked for ~1 hour
Tues: nothing except for some yoga at home.  !  It was raining

Wed: ran for almost an hour.  This was a much better run, and I would have gone for longer except that I ran out of road.  And then I did zwow #12 and my modified but still killer pistol squats--now I'm able to focus on proper breathing, and hopefully proper form will follow.   And, more importantly, I wasn't kept up during the night with muscular cramping.   I'm not sure how much I've mentioned this, and it's gradually snuck up on me during the last year or so: the tougher the workout, the more likely I am not going to sleep much or well that night due to aches and pains.  Last time it happened, sometime last week, I think, I gave up sleeping and googled from about 3 to 6 am and found out that this is not an uncommon problem.  There are a few solutions, including ZMA supplements (zinc, magnesium, and B-6). 

I take a few supplements already, what's one more?  LOL.  Seriously, I've tried to get everything from diet alone, and I hope to in the future, but malabsoption is a wrench in the works and I'm stuck with iron pills at the very least for the present.

Anyway, I figured that if I made maple butter instead of honey butter (we tend to eat fresh-baked cheesy puffs for dessert a few times a week), that would add some magnesium and zinc to the mix, and I could see how it went.

Turns out that my husband has ZMA pills and I took one last night and slept for a solid 7 hours without even waking up at 3 or so as usual, which is excellent.

Today: walked for ~1 hour.

Yesterday's events also included clipping the dog's nails for the first time in over 5 years.  Usually the pavement grinds them down, but we're almost always on trails now--even when we run on the roads, we're often on the soft shoulder (no sidewalks here).  I'm slowly figuring out which of the roads are safe and more interesting--not that kind of interesting!--to run on, but I had to clip the dog's nails down a bit so that he wouldn't be too uncomfortable with a road run.


No comments: