Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 11

I seem to be recovering!

I talked with my nurse practitioner today. She said that, since the aches and other symptoms go away when I stop eating wheat (as they are now), then I should continue to avoid wheat, at least to see if everything clears up. She also said that the blood tests aren't 100% accurate, the biopsy is the way to tell, but that's invasive and, at any rate, the solution would be the same: no wheat. There we go! I still have a bit of soreness, and a few tough lymph nodes in my neck, but things already feel a lot more normal.

So, on the one hand, I feel like I've gone through a bunch of pointless discomfort these past few months, but it had to be done. I wish I'd noticed the connection years earlier, but better late than never. Maybe one day I can run a marathon with actual normal glycogen stores. Actually, I have: last year's Winterman. I ate rice noodles for supper (was eating those a lot back then), and then nothing for breakfast except juice because I was in a rush, and then during the race I had bananas and coffee, and some sports drink, and I had very little wall and no loss of speed. My last 5K was the fastest.

This year's Winterman....well, unless I make a miraculous recovery in the next couple of weeks, it's probably not going to happen. Although, pretty much every run has been beyond the wall since late last summer so I'm totally used to running with low glycogen stores...I'm not counting it out completely, but I figure I'll wait and see if I want to switch to a shorter race, if possible, or get out and jog 5-10K and then DNF. will see!

I would like to be able to do a decent 5K by June, for Emilie's Run. This seems to be a reasonable goal, assuming that things continue to improve. I would also like to run the Hintonburg 5K in July...well, anyway, I'll see!

At any rate, I jogged for 40 min yesterday, and just 15 today--I was a little bit tired and I was in a pair of shoes and socks which didn't agree with each other! I never have socks pull down and collect under my feet, but they were doing that today. Very annoying!

No comments: