Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 23

Just 25ish minutes today. It was supposed to be a recovery run but I didn't get into it for some reason. I hadn't realized that there was fresh snow on the sidewalk. It's been so clear this winter and I'm in a bind as to shoes right now: I have 4 pairs of trail shoes for winter, but they're really stiff on pavement and my feet are starting to get sore. I also have a few pairs of lightweight trainers for speedwork and races, two stiff and one new (I'm saving it for this summer). So I spent about 10 minutes sawing through one of the old pairs making the soles more flexible. This is an experiment. There's not much to these shoes, so I don't notice the cushioning breaking down, but the soles get stiff and then I can't stand them. The only lightweight shoes that didn't do this were Nike Frees, and I wore them for a very long time until the uppers were falling apart. I've been deliberating ordering another pair--definitely, I have to get some new shoes--meanwhile, I'm going to see if cutting grooves in the soles of old ones will extend their life.

I was going to see that today and have a very relaxing run in 'slippers'...well, that didn't happen! Maybe tomorrow I'll tap into the recovery run vibe better.

No comments: