Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 26/Day before Winterman

I picked up my bib today: 105. I was 5 last year; the full marathon numbers start at 1, and the half marathon numbers start at 100, I'm guessing. It's kind of a nice coincidence.

I still feel sort of down about not being able to do the full, but it seemed foolish to try considering the extent of which inflammation has limited my runs this winter. Yes, it was amazing that much of it suddenly cleared up last week and my long run went from an iffy 40ish minutes to a nice 1.5 hrs just like that...that definitely doesn't mean that I can as easily extend to four hours. Two hours might be ok, though. The course is a 2.5k out and back, a good course for a re-intro to races. Convenient for quitting if I have to.

So, goals:

A: finish
B: 3 loops
C: 2 loops
D: 1 loop

The weather looks decent. Might be windy, but otherwise ok. The roads are clear, knock wood....chance of precipitation later on tonight. I figure I'll wear pretty much what I wore last year, but will bring a windbreaker just in case.

Food...I got some canned coffee and some bananas. Theoretically, since it's a half, I shouldn't need any nourishment, but pre-gluten free I usually started to run out of steam at mile 11. Not sure what will happen tomorrow, especially since I was out visiting today and was limited as to what I could eat during lunch and supper. I'll walk down to the start, have a banana and some coffee and water (it takes a while for my appetite to wake up, so better to exercise a bit and then eat), and have more during the race. They've said that there's no drop off table this year, but I figure I can tuck a bag somewhere like last year.

Well, best get some rest!

No comments: