Monday, March 17, 2014

Bliss

BLISS

Same old workout, still plugging away at it 1-3 times a week, still doing about 12-13 pushups and 10-11 pike situps per set.  I haven't noticed too much of an improvement in pushup velocity during the workout, probably because I'm wussing out, but it has become easier to drop down and do 20 or whatever at other times.  The pike situps have improved even more.

The main development, however, has been accepting the abdominal burn a bit better.  That's why I like this workout: it replicates the lovely feeling of complete evisceration brought on by my first 6+ hour trail run, but within the second minute.  And I don't even have to do anything fancy, either!  No twisting or balancing or grabbing equipment or whatever.  The fancy stuff works in other situations, but it generally dilutes the burn because I take time to get the hang of things and/or to transition between exercises.  Pushups and situps, however, are basic.  If I'm easing off the burn in the midst of those, it's because I'm having a moment here, and not because my spectacular coordination is skipping hand-in-hand with Gravity into the sunset, leaving me floundering with flashbacks of childhood Phys Ed mishaps and yet no burn any more, just echoes of shame.

I've felt the burn to a lesser degree during some races; hopefully its potential has been reduced.  will see!

(incidentally, I had to listen to the song approximately 3.5 times to type this post)

No comments: