Tuesday, March 18, 2014

on shaky ground

Or maybe a cheap treadmill with the back end propped up on textbooks isn't the best idea...but it's not the worst either!  Nothing happened except for a few moments of tremulous doubt.

I did VO2 max intervals today, for the first time in at least a year or two, and I feel obligated to fully investigate the resulting physiological adaptation at this point, but instead I'm going to watch a movie and eat the bones of four animals (in a minute).   I don't eat meat a lot, but I still feel bad for the animals plus I'd rather go without the unhealthily jacked-up saturated fat profile of an unsuitably grain-fed beast, so oftentimes we buy grass-fed free-range whatever, and stretch it out.  Bones?  Boil in water for ages = broth!  I was checking the freezer recently and I realized that all these tubs of homemade broth are cramping the frozen pizzas.  And soup's fun to make.

Recipe?

um

turkey/lamb/beef/chicken broth
tomato puree
dried mushrooms
canned beans
dried beans
spices
salt

Simmer for AGES until it's thick enough.  Throw more spices in (maybe lemon juice and/or cider vinegar for more of a tang if desired, though I didn't do that this time) until it tastes good.   That's it!

Anyway, the VO2 max workout was just 6 X 2 minutes.  Longer intervals are better, and I will build up to them, but I'm rusty.  After I cooled down a bit, I grabbed the dog and did a quick fartlek around the neighbourhood because I felt really tired but also really pumped.  So, the total run was about 50 minutes, I think, with the warm up and so forth.  After that, resistance exercises, and now the bones of four animals wait in front of me and hello, Amazon Prime!

No comments: