Friday, March 7, 2014

My first DST!

It's not serious; I'm mainly being prudent.

My tentative 2hr jog on Sunday lost to brunch with friends.  We walked into town (~3 miles) and around and back.  The walk was easy, but it tightened stuff up and I ended up with that left leg sciatica-like glitch again.

I was signed up for a trail 50K this coming weekend, but I was so stiff by Sunday evening, I wasn't sure I could loosen up in time.  The glitch was still better than the first time it cropped up, but I wasn't sure if I could hack 50K on sand on it (yep, yet more sand, which is why I'm not too cut up about missing this race). I knew there was a waitlist, so I gave up my spot. 

Since then, I've run a few short easy jogs in the forest and on the treadmill.  Yesterday, I felt loose enough to do a tempo workout on the treadmill as well: 5 X 1 mile (1 min rest).   It went surprisingly well, under 40 minutes including the rest breaks--I was getting bored so I pushed up the speed a bit more than my previous tempo runs, but it felt alright.  Who knows how fast it actually was: I've mentioned the janky speedometer on my FREE treadmill before.  The lower speeds feel faster than indicated, but I suspect that the opposite holds true for the upper end.  However, I am progressing.  Except that I can't seem to get on without Muse for treadmill tempo stuff.   Easy runs are great with lectures or documentaries (I usually play trance music faintly at the same time, just to add a pulse), but the discomfort of tempo runs begs a stronger antidote. 

I suspect, when it comes down to the VO2 max intervals, I'm going to have to go metal. 

Meanwhile, I've been exploring other music, listening for the next preoccupation...more on that later.


No comments: