Thursday, March 20, 2014

~

Yesterday, two short jogs.
Today, 70 minute jog.  It was supposed to be my mid-week mid-long run, but I somehow got through the route more quickly than usual even though my legs felt a bit tired.  Not complaining!  I had one super run this week; if the others are kind of heavy but still at a decent pace, I'll be thrilled.  I should be feeling a bit tired at this point--last week was too tired, but this level of fatigue is bearable.

And now matters turn to the gross and mysterious:

Why does my favourite sports bra reek so badly (A), and what can I do to stop it (B)? 

A: it's 2-3 years old and I sweat a lot.  The last two summers have been brutal and I've probably sweated the equivalent of two men twice my size.  I've washed the bra regularly and rigorously, of course--I rinse it and wring it out after each run at the very least--but the material and/or construction seems to be prime real estate for smelly bacteria (I was told that bacteria turn sweat into funkiness, but I could be wrong).

B: wash/ baking soda/vinegar/ freezer/ sun/ sportswash A/ sportswash B...this is where we presently stand.  Future possibilities include baking, microwaving, and other compounds.

Sportswash B, which I will not name at this point in case it washes out, contains "biodegradable surfactants and builders".  Surfactants bust surface tension of liquids and solutions, but I haven't a clue what "builders" do.  Are they actually building little condos for smelly bacteria?  Because I just washed the bra in this stuff, and it's not smelling promising thus far.

Unfortunately, since our move, I no longer have access to the equipment and compounds that can absolutely pulverize the life or at least replication out of every single microbe (except for prions), but I do have some weapons at my disposal.  At any rate, I've got to do more research.  I'm curious to know what bacterial species are at work here too.  Maybe there's a fungus jamming along with them.  Who knows?

And why don't I just buy a new sports bra?  The company discontinued that model!  I can't even get my size on Ebay.  I have a few other sports bras, but they're not as ideal...finding a good sports bra is a whole other post.


4 comments:

Fran said...

I feel your boulder holder pain, sister! I made do with a low-quality sports bra for ages before purchasing another. They are expensive mothers and you never know how they're gonna respond on the road! Finally got a funky purple & pink one at the Bay. They have a decent selection. Stop by next time you're in the hood.

cs said...

Late May! Wanna go to T&T again? :)

I'll check out the Bay and Sports 4--that's where I got my favourite one. Maybe there's another contender!

I jump up and down in the dressing room, lol.

Fran said...

Why, yes. Yes I do!

Yay! :-D

Are you gonna take on the marathon?

cs said...

I am!