Friday, August 24, 2012

How are we not getting any rain?

Storms have been circling to the north, south, and west all morning.  The sky has been an odd hazy yet scintillating yellow-grey under darker clouds.  I took the dog out for 1.5 miles fully expecting to feel rain, and then I jogged on the treadmill for an hour fully expecting to see rain, and 5 hours later, the ground is still dry.  Oddly enough, the temperature has risen almost three degrees Celsius in the past hour.  I cannot interpret the significance of this despite my weather-related obsessiveness because I am actually meteorologically ignorant.

The treadmill run was ok.  My energy level was very low yesterday--I didn't do anything except whatever I did at work--and though both I and the air quality felt much better today, my legs were still slightly sluggish.  No matter how I adjusted my form, I couldn't hold onto a truly easy level for more than a few seconds here or there, even though my breathing remained calm.  However, almost exactly 51 minutes into my run, I recaptured that special hip-piston feeling, wherein everything above and below is stacked properly, reducing apparent movement and effort to a slight tilt of the right hip and of the left in alternation.  That's probably the best way to describe it yet, and so from now on, I suppose I'll just be talking about the hip-pistons and if they're firing or not.  Anyway, once they had been firing for a few minutes, I realized that I should then focus on the opposite side lifting up.  Give that stuff a bit more space.  Then, and only then, did everything else loosen.  But it all still felt a bit heavy.  Still, the pace was the same as my last TM run, and it was otherwise an easy run.

And then I did the regular shoulder/clamshell thing I do when I'm not quite up to a zwow.  I also did these exercises on Wednesday.  This hasn't been a zwow week at all, although I have done 1/2 of a MarC workout (mainly core) 3 evenings this week, which has been feeling effective.  Maybe that's sapped some of the zwow juice, but it seems good to do a little something in the evening.

Time for some rain!!!

No comments: