Sunday, August 5, 2012

good temps, bad air

Today's promise of being cooler than usual held firm, so we slept in and started running at about noon.  Only 29 C and not humid!  It got up to only 31 C during our run and there were some portions that were truly comfortable.  Alas, the air was dirty today and that caught up to me.  The last forty minutes of the run were miserable.  My breathing was messed up.  I kept it to an easy rate, and by this point we were walking up the steep hills, but my lungs felt raw and compressed, grasping for shallow and quick panic, and I couldn't make things easy, but I managed to stay calm.  We stopped at a shaded spigot with about twenty minutes left to go, and I drenched myself in water and got my heart rate down to a more reasonable tempo.  We still had a few uphills ahead of us, but we walked up the steepest one and then, soon after, it was a nice downhill coast, and then a walk home.

Total: 18.8 miles.  I'm counting the walk.  That air was nasty.  Maybe it was like breathing through a dusty sock while wearing a corset, something which I won't be trying for confirmation's sake.  But, yeah, not a picnic.

Tomorrow, we'll find out our next posting.  I think I've held myself together pretty well over the last couple of months of heightened uncertainty.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Agreed, you have girl! I'm excited to hear where you'll be writing from next.