Friday, April 16, 2010

Day 81

I feel better, though still a bit weary. Hopefully that will wear off before Sunday. I should be thankful that the aches and gut pain are almost gone, though!

I decided to try a few short intervals at 5K pace...because I was still a bit wiped and couldn't decide between 1 X 1K and 2 X 1K, plus the race is only 5K, I decided to do 3X 500M at what felt like 5K pace, with jogging 500M recovery. So, not really a VO2 max workout but almost at the right pace, I guess. No lactic acid (at least not for 500M!) but good form. The first part was a success, the last part, not really until near the end. I had the dog with me and that makes things a little unbalanced/asymmetrical. Plus, the pace was between his gaits--the poor guy tried his best but either he was pulling ahead in a canter, or dropping back in a trot. So I was distracted by that. Finally, on the third fast interval, I remembered to remember the form...the whole run was like herding cats even without the dog factor and I didn't feel that well put together, but I tried. It was a bit slower but it felt more efficient.

2:15
2:16
2:19

If I do my 5K at that pace, I'll be happy! I have been wavering about A and B goals:

A: sub 7:00/mile (not likely unless things go REALLY well---the weather should be good, at least, so who knows?)
B: sub 23:00
C: sub 24:00
D: sub 25:00. I really expect to go sub 25:00! It will be hard not to be disappointed if I don't unless I end up saving a life on the course or something.

I've been thinking about how I've felt so good on a few runs recently, and not so much now...I think that's partly due to the tail end effect of the weeks I was doing doubles. I pick up and lose things quickly muscularly; cutting the time between runs in half is a considerable difference. My muscles remember a lot better how things are supposed to go. At the same time, it takes a few weeks of a regular routine to see a difference, and this doesn't cut out immediately either.

Another difference is perhaps my shoes--I'm currently using two pairs of somewhat old racing flat type shoes (Saucony Grid type A2 and Nike Trackstar) They're both well over a year old, and I sawed some grooves in the soles to increase flexibility...I've noticed that the Saucony pair are starting to feel a little off, but maybe that's also because it's a 1/2 size too large and I need to readjust the laces again (they're really loose, lol, but they were $30 down in TExas and I had to grab them when I had the chance). The Nike pair, however, is feeling more and more good. That was the pair I had on during the good runs I've had recently. Yeah, I shouldn't cheap out on shoes this much, and I will get some new shoes sometime, but I'm having trouble deciding what to get and where to order it. They don't usually stock my type of shoes in the stores here. Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying the good pair of shoes! I think they're about a year old now. Many many miles on them. I do have a second pair of the Nike shoes that I've been saving for races that I was too sick to run, lol...time to break those out, too. I'll see how they feel, but hopefully they'll work for my 5Ks in May and June.

And of course a third effect is diet. I'm trying to eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables and protein. Tonight will be a test because we're going to a benefit dinner/buffet at the race track, lol...supposedly they have non-breaded seafood there so I should be good. Anyway, my diet mishap created some stiffness/inflammation, particularly on my right side. So my right arm got a bit tired. I used to do a certain arm exercise which helped--fast pumps with dumbbells. Time to reintegrate that into my routine! Today, I didn't do the full routine, just the sit ups (70) and some single leg calf raises and squats/dips.

I should add that I think my dog enjoyed running faster today, despite the awkwardness of it. Maybe, as I get gradually faster (I hope!) it will gel together. I might have to get a waist band for the leash, though. Will see.

At any rate, I look forward to racing on Sunday. It will be an experience.

No comments: