Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 80

A round number is exciting!
Alas, once again, it's a lie, a sad tale of triumphant temptation.

It started on Tuesday. We celebrated the end of my practical by getting takeout sushi, including the Dynamite Roll. I never used to eat the Dynamite Roll because it has tempura, but it's apparently very delicious...and oh, it is. After witnessing it and the pleasure it inspired for the fourth time or so, I succumbed. Lately, I've been having some doubt about this gluten intolerance, is it just in my head? Is a little bit of wheat ok? etc, etc...I want to test it. That sounds demented. Eating wheat put me in a lot of pain. That should be enough to stay away from it, but my resolve is a bit weak these days. Anyway, the Dynamite Roll was very good. It was amazing how strong the tempura tasted, though. I never really tasted tempura before, just its consistency, the crunch. After not eating wheat for pretty much 80 days, though, I've become very sensitive to it. It was strong, foreign, almost woody, beguiling flavour. It almost overpowered everything else, including the wasabi.

Wednesday morning, I woke up to some stiffness. Not bad, but I poked around where it was sore and, yep, stiff lymph nodes. Plus I was congested. No gut pain, though, so I was good to go.

I had errands to run in the morning after my run, and then I returned to the smell of natural gas. It wasn't strong, and at first I thought maybe it was my imagination--I opened windows and doors, got the dog outside, etc, etc...well, after an hour, it didn't seem to be getting much better so I shut off the furnace and called the gas company. Turns out the furnace wasn't the source, but there were problems with the outside line/valves, and this was drifting into the house through the porous medium that is our basement wall and windows. Anyway, after four hours of this adventure, everything was fixed, but I was feeling kind of light headed, mainly due to lack of food. I'm really grateful, though, that this happened when I was home, and not during the 2.5 weeks before that we were both out of the house all day.

My husband phoned, let's meet at a pub nearby, get some food. That sounded lovely! I had fries along with a chicken brie quinoa dish.

I'm trying to overcome my stubbornness about fries. I don't have them often, maybe once every few months now. The problem is, they are usually fried in the same fryer as breaded things. I don't go back into the kitchen to see, but I'm assuming that there's one vat and everything goes into it. Even if I don't get onion rings or something coated with flour, I get sick! I have to accept this. I just have to accept that I can't have fries unless I see that there is no breaded thing on the menu.

This morning, I woke up to more stiffness and some gut pain. We ran for 10 minutes. It just felt wrong. Yeah, some of my recovery runs recently haven't felt good, but I can live with the feeling of loosening up tired and sore muscles. The inflammation and (glandular?) soreness and fatigue I get from eating wheat is different.

So, speedwork didn't happen today. It was supposed to be 2X 2.5K. Tonight, I might attempt 2-3 X 1K...if not, tomorrow, it'll be 2X1000K, or one K repeat, just to get a taste of a faster pace before the 5K on Sunday. I don't have high hopes, considering how much (or not much!) I've run so far this year and how little speedwork I've done, but it'll be a good chance to get back into things. And I have to smarten up diet-wise.

2 comments:

Fran said...

It's so hard to leave the beguiling foods behind. I've had a severe mango allergy for years, but occasionally I wonder, really? Was it that bad? And indeed it was. I remember mangoes; I recall the pleasure of sweet juice spilling down over my chin, but if I take a bite now, I'll end up breathless in the ER, haha! Good luck, Cassie.

Fran said...

PS> Fixed the flat. The tape under the tube was the porblem; it was sticking up a bit and triggering slow leaks.

PPS> ITBS is easing up! I've been running 2 x week, about 25 min each, and very little pain, and soemtimes no pain at all. Tomorrow I'm gonna try 35 minutes and see how that feels.

Good luck with your 5k tomorrow! woohoo!

Eventually we'll run together again!