Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Less of a sauna, less of a slog

I think I might be recovering. The dog and I jogged 6 miles this morning and it was still a slog but less so than yesterday. That was encouraging, and I enjoyed the run (until traffic picked up--we'd started late, just before 7, so it was starting to get busy by the end), BUT I'm really tired of feeling like a ton of bricks. I'm supposed to see my nurse practitioner next week for a couple of follow-ups, and I'll be discussing this with her, but I have to look at the possible causes:

1. IBS--it's still not quite under control, so I still might not be getting enough nutrients. I'm trying to eat sensibly; also, I've decided that if I run more than an hour and/or do strength exercises in the morning, I'm going to eat eggs for breakfast. Maybe that will help. I had tons of energy in Florida and I was eating eggs for breakfast after tougher workouts. I don't particularly like eggs (or usually any solid food after running, lol) but maybe that's what I need.

2. Low iron. I've been taking supplements but maybe they're not enough, or I need to eat more seaweed or vegetable sources of iron. I'm not a vegetarian but recently I've found that meat has been unappetizing, along with other things. That's another symptom of IBS: I lose my appetite.

3. Low sleep. I haven't been sleeping well but this will get better. We're going to move in a few weeks.

4. Temperature/humidity. I'd almost rather it was 30C and super dry than 20C and humid. It's been very clammy here...it's like on the verge of raining but it never breaks. This I find tiring.

5. Hormonal. Possibly. I've been on a better BC med these past few months, but this sort of thing seems to be draining no matter what.

6. Heart. Maybe. I never get episodes while running, but afterwards I feel tired. My heart is ok, I think; it's more of a case of my body resisting a heightened effort, refusing to recruit as much muscle fibre. I just have to accept this for the time being. AFter a couple of months or so, I will have the cath ablation and things will be better.

7. Stress. yes, maybe, but this will improve as things get settled. Just takes a bit of time!

Oh, it all sounds so terribly depressing! But it could be worse. I have to be patient. It's kind of sucky feeling like a sack of shit all the time, but at least I'm still getting out there. I hope I'm being sensible about it.

No comments: