Monday, August 10, 2009

In the sauna

Or the steam room.

It was under 20C when I ran this morning but 99.9999% humidity. I didn't notice it at first, and then I looked at my Garmin and saw 11:XX/mile. Fine. I'd run 12.61 miles yesterday and today was a recovery day. It didn't matter how slow I went.

And then I started really sweating. I was hardly moving, hardly breathing hard, but, man, I was dripping.

At first, my forehead started getting itchy--the sweat was getting trapped under my hat. Then I could feel the sweat rolling off my face. And then I noticed that my clothes were really damp.

I'm fortunate, I didn't chafe!


Yesterday's run was much better. I ran aroudn for two hours exactly...I didn't feel good at the start, so went pretty slowly, and then gradually picked it up. It was good to get that run in. I would like to go up to 2:30 before the Army 1/2, along with concentrating on tempo runs. That will probably set me up best for it, I think, with a bit of faster speedwork too, but primarily long runs and tempo runs/intervals. Hence I ran a fair bit yesterday and today is no longer a speed/strength day. I guess I'll do speedwork and squats/etc on Wed and Fri. I have to get used to the longer runs again--even just two hours tired me out too much to do strength exercises afterwards.

No comments: