Tuesday, January 20, 2009

more fatigue

My foot hurts. Specifically, my big toe, specifically where it's attached to the rest of my foot.

The shoes I wore on Sunday aren't really 20-milers, if that makes sense...I love them and they usually feel great but they tend to get deep creases that create pressure points. A couple of hours is fine, and I hadn't planned on running 4 hrs, but that had worked well at the time, but I guess the extra duration and unsteady footing combined did me in...sort of.

I was fine jogging yesterday morning. My left foot didn't hurt much more than the rest of me, so I didn't notice it then, but being on my feet for most of 8-hour shift last night really brought the cows home. After a few hours, my foot was starting to get really sore. I finally took my shoes off and walked around in socks, once I figured that I was out of danger of getting my feet run over by wheelchairs/walkers. LOL

Today, it's better, but I haven't walked much yet, just on errands. I'm going to bring 2 different pairs of shoes and 1 pair of sandals to work, just in case. The shoes I was wearing yesterday are my usual pair, but I needed more room. There's a little bit of swelling.

At any rate, I was definitely not empathetic with the various old people who complained about walking from their bed to the bathroom, or wherever. One poor old lady (and I mean old, like 95) got her knickers bunched up because she'd rung and I hadn't come in time so she'd taken a few steps herself to get something unessential (I forget what, but there was way too much pulling last night for frivolities like dropped candies). I was polite, of course, but I couldn't help but remember that I'd rushed up three flights of stairs for something so stupid (might have been a comb that usually is in her bathroom but she claims is always in her drawer, so she occasionally gets worked up about this). Hey, my husband says it's not the years, but the miles! lol

A more serious side of my pique is that there are a few residents who honestly need help with larger matters, but who won't ring for that. Just the stupid stuff. It's frustrating.

I did get my pushups in, though! Hopefully my foot holds out tonight.

No comments: