Sunday, June 22, 2014

NICE morning

Yesterday morning, due to overnight storms, was so stifling...eh, walk the dog, done.

Today, however, was much more promising. it felt almost cool.  I think it was only about 20-21C, but overcast and not that humid. 

Dog #1 and I set out--and ran into a loose dog.  After returning it to its owner, we kept rolling.  Traffic was very light because it was pre-church.  I entertained thoughts of running down a certain street right into town.  I've never done this because the shoulder narrows to practically nothing in some spots: I would rather not step into a ditch or up a knoll. 

However, I did something to my left foot 2 miles in.  I'm not sure what.  It felt like something slid out of joint in my ankle and started pushing on a nerve.  I have no idea what it is, but when I stopped to stretch, there was a dull interior thunk.  That mostly solved it, but it started feeling tender about three miles later, so I decided to duck into the forest and go home.  The dog was quite happy about getting a stream break. 

Total 80ish mins for about 7? miles, including breaks. 

And, then, shoulder exercises!  For real!  Using last summer's drill!

Bent over rows, single arm
Overhead press
deltoid raises, side front, back
EZ bar shoulder press/clean and press
bar rear delt row
Cuban press
Iron cross
rotator cuff exercises

The single arm rows were originally before the delt raises, but that was tiring for my hands.  Maybe I can do without the single arm rows altogether, but I'll keep them for now.  They do seem to target a slightly different muscle profile, and my shoulders are one of the parts that feel weak during tough runs.  If I wanted to be extra-diligent, I would combine them with pushups...ehhhhh....maybe later.   Also, the first overhead press reps are supposed to be with dumbbells, but I just used the bar throughout.

As for that Iron Cross...man, I was tapping into that today.  I did a bodyweight squat challenge in May with some friends; even though I dropped out 2/3 of the way through due to the marathon, it really helped my flexibility.  Now I can go butt to heels with the Iron Cross.  I'd rather expend my precious reserve of diligence doing that than pushups. 

No comments: