Tuesday, June 10, 2014

dogs dogs dogs summer dog days

I've lost track--ok, this entry is going to be a yard sale.  Apologies in advance.

I didn't close the new rec path loop before I left, but I ran most of it with friends, and then we had bubble tea.  I also did some shorter runs because I didn't want to let the sidewalks go to waste.  I think I missed just one day once I resumed running on Wednesday after the marathon.  Now I'm back to the roads/shoulders and trails, and I actually felt a faint twinge of the old Achilles tendon problem yesterday.  I have to be more careful when stepping off the road onto the sponge...I don't know what I do exactly, twist my left foot a weird way or roll it somehow, but it seems that if I'm mindful about stepping off and slowing down, instead of just bolting off the road and trying to keep pace over pine straw or whatever rubbish, the problem doesn't occur.  I just have to take it easy.

That's ok.  I'm not fussing about time or distance these days.  Nope!  It's hot and I have no races coming up.  Not one!  There is a local night run in July which is frankly really intriguing, and I could pull it off, but...eh.  How badly do I want to see the dawn after running all night?  Maybe it's booked up now anyway, but if I go for it, I'd like to do one longish run in the middle or end of this month.

I don't feel very motivated though.  It's hot and I have to catch up on sleep.  The robbers are dogs, a pair of yappy not-quite-trained ones up in Canada (although we made some progress), and my two, who are regaining some ground lost while I was away.  The puppy still isn't quite housebroken, but we recently went four days without a workplace accident!  But I still usually have a wakeup call of about 6 am.  It's been like this for the past two weeks, and it's not bad at all, but I haven't gotten used to it because I've been staying up late.  I end up going back to bed for just an hour or two...yeah, that works so well :/  Got some crazy dreams out of this fragmentation, at least.

So, yesterday, after four hours of sleep, I told myself to make use of the magic hour, to forget the bed and to run.  Grabbed dog #1 and eked out 3.5ish lousy miles.

Unfortunately, I busted that streak today because the puppy woke me up around 5 am, and that was just too hardcore for me.  But I know she tries to accommodate my lazy ass.  She's not one of those obnoxious pests that wakes up every morning at 5:30 am on the dot, feed me feed me love me feed me.  Maybe she was, but we've already broken her: some days, she sleeps in.   On Sunday or Saturday, nobody moved until 8!  Unfortunately, on other days, her bladder is just too small. 

But, geez, this post is supposed to be about IRON, not urea!

So, if I'm not really into running--I will still jog and maybe even squeeze out a 20 min tempo run detox in my sweltering garage once a week--where's the burn?

Yesterday, delt flies.
Today, dumbbell bench press and some power cleans.

Yep, I've forgotten my workouts--I even struggled to remember my general 3-day split because it's been so long.  So, for my own reference more than anything, I went back in time, through the veil of history or whatever, and dredged them up.


CHEST/ARMS
Dumbbell bench press
Dumbbell flies
7-7-7 bicep curls
Straight Arm dumbbell pullover
Tricep dips on bench
Standing dumbbell tricep extension
Seated Bent-Over Two-Arm Seated Dumbbell Tricep Extension
Dip station attempt
pushups
situps

SHOULdERS

overhead press
Bent over rows, single arm
deltoid raises, side front, back
EZ bar shoulder press/clean and press
bar rear delt row
Cuban press
Iron cross
rotator cuff exercises
situps

LEGS

warm up: clean
front squats
calf raises
goblet squats
deadlifts
lunges
clamshells
situps

I'll tweak this--I think I can pare it down, and I also got to stick in pistol squats and chin-ups.  Hopefully, I can return to 6X/week.  This is essentially my summer plan, until October or November, pretty much.   rueful laugh  High of 35 C today!  I know, I know, I wasn't going to talk about it, but that in early June? ehhh

ten seconds before sunrise





No comments: