Sunday, April 27, 2014

~

Tues: walk and a short jog

Wed: 6.5ish miles.  My Achilles tendon started hurting after too much running on the soft uneven shoulder, so I didn't do the planned tempo segments after.   I've come to the conclusion that, though having to go offroad too much is most of the problem, steep inclines also contribute to it, as does bolting sideways and charging through/over whatever willy-nilly.  I should take more time and pay more attention to what I'm running over.  I do this on trails, of course, but on the side of the road, I'm focused on the car(s) and reclaiming the asphalt asap.

Thurs: 6ish miles.  My Achilles felt much better.

Fri: I honestly can't remember.  I think I just walked.

Sat: my husband and I spent a delightful afternoon and evening walking around, drinking and eating: there was a festival downtown, plus a small music festival nearby.

Sunday: 10 hilly, hot, humid miles...but I spent almost no time running on the shoulder!  Score!  The tradeoff for less busy roads is more hills.  It was a sort of uncomfortable run.

So, I'll see what I run this week--I'd intended to do at least some short tempo segments this past week, but with a tender Achilles, I opted out of that, but maybe 3 X 5 min or whatever wouldn't go amiss.  I don't want to feel too flat.  At any rate, I'm staying off the shoulder as much as possible.

I also did ab workouts 3 times this week, inspired by Gaz's example.

Meanwhile, I really hope the upcoming four days of rain and thunder materialize and lift the haze/funk/??/WTF so hot in April?  So far, the forecast high for next Sunday is only 23C, which would be amazing (it's 31 C now), but I'm going to try to not obsess about the weather.  At the very least, I won't have to even think about retreating to the shoulder of the road for 26 whole miles!  I'm not going to watch for cars--they shouldn't be on the course--perhaps that's a potentially hazardous attitude, but I paid for clear roads and I'm going to enjoy them blithely.  I'm going to just go


4 comments:

Fran said...

Good job on the consistant ab work! I think this is an example of self-inspiration. :-)

Fran said...

Good job on the consistant ab work! I think this is an example of self-inspiration. :-)

Fran said...

If trends continue, you'll probably find the temps of your hometown to be more of your liking. It's only +5 and snow remains in some sheltered areas.

cs said...

That sounds like lovely running weather! thanks :)