Sunday, April 6, 2014

More great weather!

Looks like the whole upcoming week won't go above 21 C or so! :)  Friday was close to 30 C and it's way too early for that.

yesterday: errands, and general driving around.  The barbeque guys were out!  They fire up an industrial-sized barbeque by the side of the road once a month and sell ribs, pork chops, chickens, hamburgers, etc.  We just missed out on the last rack of ribs last time, and we've missed everything since then, but finally we were in the right place at the right time.   Ribs!  Unfortunately, there was probably at least a bit of gluten in their sauce and/or on the grill, judging by the reaction this morning, but after anticipating these ribs for a few months, it was worth it.  I didn't even ask any questions because I had to know what those ribs tasted like: amazing.  Once in a lifetime amazing, oh, well! 

today: between the run and events, I lost over four pounds today.  Fortunately, it wasn't bad.  Unfortunately, I was drained, so I downgraded the tempo portions of my run today to marathon pace, but they were somewhat faster than that anyway.  The hills were kind of rough, but the weather was great, under 16 C and overcast, and not too humid.

We finished the quicker stuff a bit after about half an hour, and then we had about 1:30 of easy running.  The route had more dirt and sand than I'd anticipated, though.  This part was very pretty and went by a bunch of horse farms, but that sand was quite torn up in parts, and one part was, though it could accommodate a four-wheel drive with reasonable clearance, essentially a trail.  Google maps left me unprepared--thank goodness I'd planned a run and not a bike ride!

The sandy bit was almost more tiring than the faster hills at the start.  My left Achilles has been bothering me recently.  It's fine on the TM and on asphalt, and it was fine during the first 4-5 miles mostly on roads, but once we got on the sand and then mostly on the bumpy soft stupid shoulder going into town (more cars, but fewer considerate drivers), it started getting sore.  But then we had a mile on concrete--sidewalks, yay!--and I was able to get better aligned again.  I wasn't entirely happy with the route: I like running through the town because it's a change of pace, but running in and out of it sort of sucks.  We might stick to loops closer to home for our final long runs.



No comments: