Friday, April 4, 2014

~

Yesterday: zilch. I slept poorly the night before because I left the window open for the first time this year, and it's like Spring Break out there.  Everybody trying to get laid = noise.  There were just a few dead hours in between the nighttime peepers/yelpers/screamers, and the getting-the-worm crew.  Worst of all are the mockingbirds because they have an extensive repertoire; I get used to the second-hand car alarm, and then the faux goats or whatever kick in.

But, aaahhhh, it's not skanky hot yet and Stupid Bird 2014 isn't even in its shell yet.  I slept much better last night.

This morning: walk with the dog, and then 4 mile tempo run on the TM.  Because we're doing our long run on Sunday this week, which will include some tempo portions for me, I figured I'd do a tempo run beforehand to make the weekend stuff seem easier (this doesn't seem to ever work as well as I hope).  I was going to do three miles, and then I figured that wasn't good enough.  I decided to do 2 X 2 miles, with a minute break in between, just to make it mentally easier....but these last few weeks are supposed to be tough.  No break.  So I did my longest continuous tempo run on the treadmill ever, I think.   That kind of makes up for the pace: it was honest, but I'm still slow.  I mean, I was always slow, and at least it was under 8 min/mile (7:49, woohoo!) but I once ran a 1/2 marathon at a faster pace. 

But, hey, I managed to play number games for 30 minutes straight.  I also played a video of the men's 1992 Olympic marathon, but I couldn't focus on it.  Number games are much more useful anyway, in terms of race prep...well, actually, I did learn something from the race too.  I'd never thought about cropping a singlet before, but some of the guys had done that.  I guess it's against regulations to compete bare-chested, even though that would conform to the gymnos of the original Games more closely.

Anyway, I thought about jogging a while afterward, to also make it a mid-long run, but the unfortunate heel cup of my new shoes tore through the bandaid and my weak and weary flesh underneath.  Looks like I'll be a shoe surgeon this weekend!

No comments: