Wednesday, April 9, 2014

pumped!

Monday: walked.
Tuesday: walked, short jog
Today: VO2 max workout.  I did 4.5 reps of 3.5 minutes, and both I and the treadmill were apparently affected in terms of the space-time continuum.  Just found out the effect lingered long enough to also affect my husband's workout afterward.

Instead of digging up a race replay this time, I watched a documentary about Stephen Hawking.  I was clicking through a bunch of videos about the perception of time and whatnot when I found it.  Though it didn't really address my interest in warping time (my chief race strategy at this point, lol) it turned out to be a good choice.  His 'voice' is so deliberate that a sentence takes at least five seconds, I think, and as I listened to him, time started to fly, or at least to stop dragging its heels.  I felt more tired, but the intervals seemed to go by more quickly.

Maybe part of the issue was the treadmill speedometer.   The speed has a sliding control, and I set the knob at the same line as last time, but the speed was a bit slower, so I jacked it up.  However, it didn't seem to increase much.  So then I wondered if the top speed was indeed 9 mph, and the small upper margin was just for show.  I pushed the knob up further, to the highest I've ever had it, still 9 mph.  Further still, 9 mph.  I was hesitant because I imagined a sudden faster gear launching me off the back.  Finally, I nudged it to a grudging 9.2 for a few seconds, and then it settled at 9.1.  I left the topmost 1.5 lines for later, but 10 mph doesn't look as likely now.  Maybe the motor is starting to quit, or maybe there was a more mysterious interference.

Later on, my husband jogged for 59 minutes, but the treadmill said he ran for only 54!  Maybe we're in some sort of time dimple or whatever it's called, but fitting 59 minutes of running into 54 seems like a great result for a beginner Time Operator.*  Probably just newbie gains, but if I can hit 59/50 during the marathon, that would rock! LOL, I wish!

*This video's back on youtube!   The clip was gone the last time I looked for it, a few years ago...or has time really folded now?  hmmmm....

No comments: