Wednesday, April 2, 2014

New shoes #2

My other pair of new shoes arrived today and I've just tried them out.  Sold!  I now have my wallet out and am deliberating buying another pair or two even though the price has since gone up a bit...to $45/pair.  LOL (but usually $40 is my limit--I am CHEAP).  I should probably try them outside first anyway.  

They worked well on the TM at least.  The only issue were the heel cups--they're a bit high in the back and I got a blister.  However, it wouldn't be the first time I had to take scissors or a knife to shoes.

The funny thing is, the first pair I bought has a 8 mm heel drop, and these have a 0 mm heel drop, but they feel much more comfortable even though this is the first time I've run with such a heel drop.  All my other shoes originally had 4-8 mm, but they're all over 2 years old, and I suppose they've been smashed flatter than I'd realized!

Anyway, I did VO2 max intervals, 5 X 3 minutes.  I warmed up properly this time and it went much better this week.  I felt much more biomechanically comfortable, probably thanks to the new shoes, and I finally hit what felt like the proper range, 8.8-9.0 mph.  So I guess the previous two weeks were VO2 max warmups!  No worries: it's been a couple of years, and I still have 2 more weeks.  Also, now I know that the TM goes up to 10 mph and not just 9.  That's more than I need, but it's nice to know that I have a bit of room to improve (hopefully).

Edit: post-workout high, so I went for it.  At this rate, I won't be buying shoes again until 2016.  Two years of hot pink (the only colour on sale in my size).  LOL

Edit edit: Holy crap, it has become so much easier to post pictures on blogspot--layout is easy and I don't need a photo host or whatever.  IT EVEN TAKES .TIF!!!! This has gone to waste!  (btw, the colours are much brighter in person--maybe I have to download a palette update or neon sampler or something...)

No comments: