Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Shut it down

Meaning, much of the state, apparently.

However, before my husband and I started our hibernation, we jogged around in the forest for a half hour.  There were old footprints, but we let the dog offlead and kept him close to us until we went in deeper.  He appeared a bit fatigued from yesterday and didn't sprint as much.

During our run, the snowfall went from gentle to icy blizzard pellets--fortunately, it didn't get harsh until near the end.  Either we turned into the wind, or it picked up, or both, and the ice stung.  I had to keep switching between eyes--fortunately, by this point, we were past all of the roots.

The forecast predicts ice pellets for the next 24 hours.  Hopefully things won't turn just to ice because I would like to use my winter trail shoes at least once more (and I'd rather not lose power).  Although I shouldn't be greedy: I'd never expected to use the shoes at all here.

Right now it's looking like I could use my x-country skis on the road outside.  Never expected that either.

Edit: yeah, we skied for half an hour this evening.  We just stepped out the door onto our skis and took off.  Hopefully I'll get to use my snowshoes tomorrow--winter trifecta!!!


No comments: