Friday, February 21, 2014

~

Yesterday, 40 min of recovery jogging, morning and evening.  I'm becoming rather fond of going to the garage before supper and watching a few music videos while I loosen up.  My favourite runs are probably recovery runs, and I'm talking about really lazy ones wherein I start off sore and stiff and moving 11-12 min/mile, who knows, and then crampy sore legs are magically exchanged for fresh ones that I could run faster with--but I don't, because it's a recovery run!  Instead, I chill with this amazing gait that is even easier than walking.   I don't think people believe me when I tell them this.  Walking's laborious, like the coefficient of friction is higher or I'm on winter tires, and it takes longer to boot.  Why not just sort of coast along? 

Well, this bliss is not as accessible in a hilly area like this place, or the last one.  However, I've had the TM, as well as the idea of doing recovery jogs on it, for just over a year, but it's taken me a while to get into the habit.  And if I run out of suitable music videos...?

Anyway, this morning, the dog and I did hill sprints, 5 reps this time.  Without snow, they were quicker and more solid, but that second hill was still slippery going up and down.  I've tried a bunch of variations and angles and there just doesn't seem to be a way to get over it without sliding at least a little bit.  It's been scraped down to a clay-mud--the other two hills have more sand, but I guess the middle hill is on a vein of clay or something.  Oh, well, that just forces me to attend to turnover more and it could be far worse: it could be the last hill.  It's better to end with solid footing and get deeper into the worst of the fatigue.  Get reacquainted with stuff.  Yo, hip flexors, babygirl, where the hell you been at?  Creatine rephosphorylation, dude, it's been ages!

And then I did resistance exercises, just the basic: chin ups (ok, I can do most of two now), delt flies, pistol squats, and clamshells.   I should do this at least twice a week, and I got to get back to the evening ab stuff, once my innards feel better.  I'm still recovering although the worst is long gone.  It's not a wheat thing this time, I'm pretty sure.  It might be a bad water thing (we were staying in a place with non-potable tap water) or a bad pork leftovers thing, which could explain why the dog is also off because he ate some of that too, although he was also given soft food at the kennel, and that might not have agreed with him.  If it is the pork, it might have also put a few fishes off their feed because I was also messing around with it as bait this weekend.   That bad little pig got around! It's kind of a mystery, but I suspect it's the water--I've gotten sick from it before, and I was kind of sloppy when brushing my teeth.  My waterborne pathogen avoidance skills are darn rusty nowadays.


No comments: