Wednesday, February 19, 2014

~

Yeah, I think I'd resolved to stop linking to Muse songs, but during those darkest lowest moments, they really do help.

Whatever was happening to me yesterday roped my guts into the fray as well.  Man!  I forgot to mention earlier that my modest MyFitnessPal trial lost me a pound in a week, as expected (that's all I want, just a little bit off during the next 10-11 weeks, so I don't feel like I'm smashing into the asphalt).  And then, haha, I dropped about two or three more pounds during the next day.  Just water and electrolytes, but I needed those!  Potassium is especially hard to score...MyFitnessPal says that my intake has been dismal.

Well, anyway, I'm sort of wiped but the worst is over, and this was one of the more pleasant experiences of this nature.  There are good 24 hour bugs, and there are nasty ones; this one might be in my top ten.  There was no pain, no vomiting, just kind of a lot of, well, you know, and then this actually really chill headspace.  Just sort of floating along, just kind of dull, but not in a bad way.  I got a headache while walking the dog this morning, but it's otherwise been very easy going.  It's like the first half of a drink, I guess.  It made it easier to concentrate on stuff (but I won't submit anything until I feel more acute again, except this post). 

Anyway, I decided to take a stab at speedwork this evening.  I misremembered the intended tempo workout, but I got into the zone--but the weird thing was, I just hopped on the treadmill and started off without a warm up, but it felt easy.  I pushed up the speed--and on my janky but FREE treadmill, the indicated speed is a shot in the dark anyway, but it generally feels faster than what it says, plus the thing is on a permanent incline even though I've propped up the back end on textbooks...long story short, it felt considerably easier than it should've, and a lot easier than my last tempo workout even though it was longer and faster.  Well, my garage was not as hot as the gym last time, and my shoes tonight weren't my Puma Faas from 2011 with the tops of the backs cut off and the really loose laces.  Not to knock these shoes, they've been great, and I jogged the first 45? miles of my last ultra in them, but they don't stay on my feet that well during tempo runs anymore, I guess.   I haven't actually bought any shoes since 2012, I think...I'm really out of shape for road running.  Anyway, my workout this evening shouldn't have felt this easy.  The effort caught up with me eventually, of course, and I sweated a ton, but my legs felt great and I think I was bewitched.  I tried to keep it honest, and handed the reins and the rest of my addled head to Muse--(FOLLOW ME)-- and pushed up the speed--

Here's the other deal: that treadmill can't go much faster.  Not to knock it either, it was FREE!!!  Its speed is controlled by a slider, and I was close to the top.   This was my fastest run on it ever.  I'm hoping it'll go fast enough for the VO2max intervals later on, but I haven't done such a workout on it before, and I don't know its declared top speed, much less its actual top speed.  I'm not fast; all I'll need is 9mph, I think, maybe a bit more.  Will it quit before then?  Is it actually starting to really fall apart and will get slower and slower?  If it comes to that, can I fix it?  I've seen the innards of a few things, including this laptop, but not a treadmill so far. This whole affair is beguiling.

edit: or I could just remove the textbooks.

edit edit: Oh, I replaced the batteries in the display today (yes, this is a special treadmill)--maybe that had something to do with its sudden generosity.

Anyway, I'm now feeling kind of wiped again, but in a good way, and I did it to myself this time.

2 comments:

Fran said...

Not sure if "really out of shape" is a thing you can get away with saying, esp since you ran long - so long - just a few weeks ago, lol.

cs said...

Well, I've collected a lot of clay, but haven't done anything refined with it...:)