Friday, September 28, 2012

A good start to a poor week

On Sunday, I placed my computer on a bookshelf that I'd previously placed in front of the treadmill, clicked on a video of the Olympic men's marathon, put headphones on, and floated through two hours and fifty minutes.  I felt great.  Later on, I was a bit tired, but I had no soreness whatsoever.  Either the hills have made me stronger, or the Olympic coverage was that inspiring.  Probably both.   Not hearing the noisy treadmill and my dreadful-sounding footfalls was also invigorating.

This was the first time I've tuned out of a run to this degree.  I tried to keep my hip flexors and core engaged, and I tried to keep other things loose in general, especially my quads, but otherwise I was running in London.  Whenever the camera was trained on the backs of the runners and everyone went around a corner, it was really hard to keep running straight.

This was the prelude to a very tiring week.  Final exam on Tuesday, prospective renters viewing the house on Wednesday--fortunately, the landlord told us that they will take it, thus absolving us from deep cleaning for a while--and I really don't know what happened to Thursday except that I went to work and got a flu vaccine while I was there.  Oh, and before that, I got onto the treadmill and did half of a 20 minute tempo run before I got interrupted.  Today's 8 mile run did not happen.  I slept in past the comfortable weather and my left arm is sore.  Fortunately, it's fresh salad day at the caf.   The prospect of crumbled feta is a powerful tonic.

No comments: