Thursday, February 23, 2012

The hill/ Day 4

5.67 miles but it felt longer. No morning run, but in the afternoon, all three of us ran up the big hill again and I was starting to breathe hard before we even got to it. We went up the same way as before but ran on more of the trails on the top, and then we went down a different way, down the shortest and steepest road leading to it.

This was the wall of road I'd mentioned in an earlier entry: during that run, I was running up the street and was repulsed by the seemingly vertical stretch of road ahead of me. I've since clicked on a run tracking site and figured out that the grade is 19.25 percent. I'm sure I've been on steeper trails but it's funny how strenuous it was walking/jogging down such a paved decline. I found it too steep to walk comfortably, and running down it felt somewhat precarious, like my shoes were too slippery, so I ended up doing a half jog/half walk gait. At this point I can only imagine (and I would rather not) running up it. That is a challenge for another month.

Running up the more gradual road was hard enough. But I appreciate the experience: it's hopefully making me stronger and it has taught me something today. Last time, I just suffered. Today, halfway through the worst stretch, I found myself pumping my arms more, but while feeling the power in my shoulders; my arms were just appendages. I've been told and have read umpteen times to "pump [my] arms", but whenever I've tried it before, sore biceps were the apparent only result. So, I've just run up hills however I run up hills, maybe my arms move more, maybe not, maybe limbs just flail about ineffectually, mainly I'm distracted by the failings of my lungs....but, today, I found this power in my shoulders. Probably it was chest and back muscles too--these were BIG muscles operating in concert with other BIG muscles and, man, what a difference. This hill still took a lot out of me but it was the difference between opening a valve and a slow leak.

I got to the top and wondered if I could recapture that feeling. Fortunately, there was another steep portion ahead to practice on, this time on trail, and same deal. Shoulders! Ah, not arms at all!

Day 4 of the cleanse feels pretty much like Day 3 did. The occasional sugar craving crops up, but I'm not feeling as hungry. However, suppertime has been gradually creeping earlier. I guess the biggest change has been a slight improvement of focus. After three hours of unpacking, carrying things up and downstairs culminating with a 40ish pound box of CDs, I decided to lie on the rug and relax for a moment. A mini break. Prior to Day 1, my mind would still be running around and I couldn't relax because there was still this other box and this other thing--this time, I was able to clear my head completely and enter into a timeless frameless relaxation almost instantly. I remember doing this quite often as a child but I haven't been able to get into that frame of mind, or lack of, so quickly in many years. Yes, it happens during yoga, but usually after more than an hour of practice. This was trudge up the stairs, put the box down, lie on the carpet, and empty out, just like that.

Plan B: I need to get an extension cord because there is a treadmill in the attic. It was abandoned by the previous tenants and the landlord doesn't know if it works but he said I can use it. Fingers crossed it's not just a clothes hanger! How simple would it be to simply go upstairs (and this attic has proper stairs, it isn't a stepladder and ceiling hole deal) and jog a short recovery jog, loosen everything up without hardly any effort, whenever I want...gosh, that sounds lovely. If this thing runs at 5.5ish mph for 15-20 minutes, that's all I need.

Other news: my husband bought us a dip station. It's been a while since I've followed a bodyrock.tv routine; what better way to get back into that than trying out a new piece of equipment?

No comments: