Thursday, September 4, 2014

! :) ! :) ! :)

Yesterday, 1/2 hr run with #1, and lots of walking.

Today, more than two hours' walk with both dogs--I would've run but my husband is out fishing today, and so I couldn't leave #2 behind alone because she'd whine.  This wouldn't matter at home, but we're at the beach!

Even better, I took them out as the thunderstorm was leaving, and we stayed dry until we waded in.  5 minutes after we got back to our hotel room, the rain came back.  Perfect timing!

There was also a beautiful moment this morning.   It was about 1/2 hour into our walk, the sun was barely up but behind clouds, and the beach was practically deserted.  We passed three people during the first hour, that's it, and laid down about a couple of miles of solo (well, trio) footprints) on unmarred sand.  Actually, there was a really cool juxtaposition of texture, the spiky storm-pelted sand against the smooth swoops of the fresh tide...well, anyway, we were wafting along all alone.

And then the clouds parted for a coral pink light just as the breeze swung into our faces, bringing with it an exotic and poignant scent.  I have smelled the sea here quite a bit--there are few surprises left amongst the smells of the Outer Banks, and possibly all unpleasant.  

This scent, though, made me think of the Mediterranean, not that I've ever been.  It's how I imagine it, like one of those 17-18th century golden-lit baby blue seascapes (without the probable tinge of human effluvia), like a combo of fresh sea air and light floral perfumes, like Venus rising from the surf.  Crisp sea water with delicate blossoms.  It was intoxicating.  

I inhaled this scent until my olfactory nerves were fatigued, and we walked on, blissed out.

About 40 or 50 minutes later, I realized that yesterday's efforts to rinse out my sea-soaked running clothes with fresh water and soap may have been unexpectedly unsuccessful.  I started to smell myself again, but just sweat.

But, for a glorious coral-pink tinged while, I was Venus.

More than an hour later, Venus may have shattered the beauteous illusion with a whispered F-bomb when someone's two loose dogs trotted over.  This was close to 9 am (way past the "it's so early, nobody's out" free off-leash time*), and in a clearly-designated on-leash area.  "Oh, but they're friendly!"  However, the treasures of the sea are capricious, if not cruel.

Fortunately, this person then leashed their dogs and the properly restrained greetings were exchanged a few minutes later.  One simply does not scamper willy-nilly over to Venus' minions.  I am no longer Venus, but I'll think of the dogs as Venus hounds from now on, just for funsies.

* for example, we hit the beach at 6:30ish today, and there was a loose dog, but it wasn't an issue at all.  Generally, people who are willing to bring their dogs out earlier are better handlers.  

No comments: