Sunday, September 14, 2014

...

Well, I ran today, 15 min on the treadmill.  It counts!  The past week or so has been rough but the worst is over and the countdown has finally begun: even better, it's 2XX days to go, and not 3XX.  In order to withhold mid-tour leave, they have to keep the deployment under nine months, at least in theory.

So I have nine months to finish up some household projects (but not that certain sort of nine-month-long project, rather painting rooms, replacing fixtures, building rock walls outside and other landscaping...).  And I have a new job, although I'm presently still going through the new hire process.   It's another OR job with employer-supplied and laundered scrubs, oh, yeah (honestly, it'll be a sad day when/if I get a job that requires me to take care of what I have to wear to work).

So, lots of changes, lots and lots of lost sleep (I don't sleep very well while my husband is in transit), but now things are settling down, hopefully, and I can thus proceed to tire myself out in a duller fashion to make time go by more quickly.

It took me about a week to get back into running, I think, but I have done some of Z's workouts, and I moved almost a half-ton of rock yesterday, and again today.  It didn't seem to be as much as it is.  If I've learned anything from the backyard projects, it's that rock and water are rather dense.

Sort of speaking of which, the koi pump failed while we were at the beach, and my last koi died :(  She was 18 inches long, and a fish that size generates a lot of waste, so filtration is necessary.   My plan is to consider the pond a water garden from now on, although it's also a tadpole nursery.  Maybe I'll throw in a little goldfish, something so small that it wouldn't require filtration in 1000+ gallons given enough plants and biological substrate: hey, little buddy, you're totally free to be the fish you were born to be!  

Anyway, I'm going to get back into some sort of routine, but that might take a week or two.  Meanwhile, I'll continue working out and walking the dogs.  As for running...it's sort of a chore here.  Meh.  But the heat is finally easing up, and only 2XX days to go!

2 comments:

Fran said...

You would be appalled at the barking dogs that pull at their chains as we walk by their houses here in Portugal. I think they are permitted or maybe encouraged to bark to warn of approaching strangers. Walking down a street of houses can have a domino effect on the dogs as they alert other dogs of our visit. Makes me feel so special, heheh.

cs said...

Haha, news of your august arrival spreading like wildfire! I hope other denizens are more pleasant in their approach, especially the chefs!