Thursday, August 22, 2013

It's ok to be a baby sometimes

I'm catching up on sleep and acclimatizing to the weather and getting reacquainted with the iron temple.  This week will be a bust, I guess.

95ish % humidity in the morning with temps above 20C = UGGGGHHHHH.  I can't deal.  I can't sweat efficiently.  My heartrate gets jacked up in an oddly squeezed fashion, sometimes the prelude to supraventricular tachycardia, and once the prelude to heat exhaustion.  Once again, just walking was uncomfortable enough.   Like having a wet towel tightly wrapped around my entire body, including over my face.  And then there are the bugs.  Me contending with divebombing wasps/bees/flies/? this morning

Incredibly, I don't even live in the Deep South.  Almost, but not quite.  I can only imagine that and weep.

Then I did legs.  Just two sets, with reduced weights.

Warm up: clean--I'm still grappling with this again!
heavy squats
pistol squats
single calf raises
goblet squats
heavy deadlifts
lunges
single leg butt bridge
clamshells
situps, pushups

Admittedly, not too many pushups because they made me heart-queasy (just thought of that term for verging too close to my electro-cardio trigger--it's like being squeezed in a (damp) vise until something pops free).  Actually, some of the other exercises also made me feel off, especially the power clean.  It's such a powerful movement that affects so much of the body that, in this climate with a much smaller margin of comfort, it gets too close to the limit.  My muscles are not the issue here!  I can't target them as much because I'm dealing with this cardiovascular/endocrine elevation.  My internal revs are already too high without the added punch of an explosive movement.

Anyway, I altered the heavy squats.  Usually I hold the dumbbells down at my sides, but this puts a lot of pressure on my shoulders, more so than my quads sometimes.  I can't squat deeply enough because of my shoulder weakness.   Before I left, I got up to 40 lbs on each dumbbell, and it wasn't enough, but too much.  So, today, I kept the dumbbells at 20 lbs each, cleaned them to atop my shoulders roughly, and squatted more deeply.  I think this will be more valuable in the long run.  I just have to get the hang of the clean!  I've been doing 40-50 lbs repeatedly, but it doesn't feel efficient or quite right somehow. 

So, I've typed this out quickly while taking a bit of a break--I'm going to experiment some more with the EZ curl bar and just 35 lbs.  I can't actually do a proper clean with its curvature, but at least I can practice getting under the weight.

Overall, coming back to these conditions has been a blow.  I missed the worst of the summer, I think, but not enough of it.  I didn't even feel sore from my 36 km run...to toss that off somewhat blithely one day, and be too confounded by weather a half-week alter to even run at all is a bitter tonic.

No comments: