Monday, August 26, 2013

I forgot to mention

Yesterday, after my run and during my weights, I smelled like my grandmother used to.  That was the first time that's happened to me.  I can't explain the biochemistry; it was a combo of sweat and a certain soap fragrance as far as I could tell, but I don't use the same soap she used to use.   My soap actually is pretty bland, but about a week ago, I tried on a perfume and there's still a bit on my watch band, so the floral note could be that.  The similarity of body odor is bizarre too.  We have the same mtDNA, but I'm not sure that affects odour.  And we don't have the same diet, mainly because she used to eat a lot of wheat, and I don't eat any.  But she did rock a bit of a sweat at times: she was a peasant and never really fully accepted North American bathing standards--she didn't smell bad, just more human, if that makes sense.  A bit of sweat and a flowery fragrance.  The most puzzling part is that usually I smell worse than that after runs, but the weather eased off a degree or two yesterday, and I didn't end up completely sodden.  Anyway, smelling like her was oddly comforting during the workout.

Ooo, I have back tinglies--just finished my shoulder workout, and now I feel the chill I sometimes feel after busy muscles.  It's not a chill from being sweaty, it's more internal.  I sometimes also feel it during yin yoga.  I guess it's a change of blood flow.  I'm not really sure, but it feels nice.

Anyway, sadly, the dog took a chunk out of a front leg during a bolt after a squirrel yesterday.  It was the worst wound he's ever gotten with us, but he made no fuss about it and my husband found it later by accident.  That's the pitbull high pain tolerance.  So no walk or running today, and probably for a few days, at least for the dog.  I have no such excuse.

But, today, I just did shoulders:
 
Dumbbell shoulder press
Bent over rows, single arm
deltoid raises, side front, back
EZ bar shoulder press/clean and press
shoulder curl
bar rear delt row
shrugs
Cuban press
Iron cross
lying one-arm lateral raise
rotator cuff exercises
pushups
situps

This is a long workout, but my puny shoulders really need it!  It's also an upper back thing...anyway, maybe I can pare it down later, but meanwhile I try to push through it as quickly as possible.  During the last set, I ditched the shrugs because there are already some during the clean and presses; that's a start.

No comments: