Monday, April 25, 2011

trouble with directions

I'm going to need another stab at the Hull section of the course--I misplaced my written directions (actually thought I left them in the bathroom of the War Museum). The new Hull section is thankfully relatively short, but of course I erred on the side of generosity and got a good healthy portion of the Hull hills and general dumpiness after all. It was no fluke that the sun went behind a cloud when I crossed the first bridge.

I completed the Centretown/Hintonburg/Westboro section correctly from memory; I was on sidewalks and paths instead of the road, of course, and this added to the distance and elevation gain/loss, I think--the path is generally more corrugated than the road.

After the west/Hull loop, I got the dog and ran around the Canal. This again was longer than the race route because I went all the way around Dow's Lake: I wasn't feeling like another bridge. This part went really well and I was able to gradually pick up the pace. The last mile was under 8 minutes. Total run was 22.14 miles.

I felt tired but efficient, and my fueling went well, which was a big relief. I didn't stop for snacks but used Nuun electrolyte mix and Gu gels instead. I took about 1 gel per hour to begin with, and then the last two were more closely spaced and roctane gels to boost (basically, more engineered to facilitate carb-energy conversion and fatigue buffering). I definitely felt the effects. At times, it was disconcerting: I should have felt tired, but instead I felt revved, propelled.

No comments: