Sunday, April 17, 2011

Seeking fatigue

This is something I've noticed with a few long runs, including today's: about 3-4 miles from home, after more than two hours of slogging through (especially today's somewhat leaden run), a burst of energy happens and I'm able to push the last few miles. Today, for instance, my first couple miles or so were at about 11:00/mile. I didn't feel that good so I broke the run into 3 mile sections so that I'd never have to go more than 2.ish miles (actually, might do that during the marathon because it worked well)...after a while, my miles got under 10:00 min/mile, and then 9:00. My garmin lost power so I don't know how fast I was going for the last four or so miles when things started to really pick up but it was faster than 8:30/mile. Total was 18-ish miles.

I was pleased with the run, especially since I tried to tire myself out beforehand:

Friday: 9ish miles, including 8 X 400M, around 1:30-1:32 with 1:30 rest. I used to do 400s a bit faster, I think, but it's been a long time since I've done them and my hopes weren't high.
Saturday: 12.6 miles

I'm going to take it easy tomorrow and Tuesday, push on Wednesday...beyond that, I haven't quite decided. Do I do another back-to-back, or a longer single run, and on what day(s)?

No comments: