Thursday, April 28, 2011

fatigue

I didn't run much on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday: I even skipped run club on Wednesday because my run that morning was so slow and stiff. My calves were like rocks. The thing that intrigues me, however, is that I felt better on Monday and Tuesday. Should I have in fact run more those days in order to loosen up more or increase blood flow or something? Physiological adaptation is still a bit of a mystery.

at any rate, muscles aside, I am feeling pretty worn out. I'm not sure if this is because I have been studying a lot for a final tomorrow and this has affected sleep, but it's taken me a while to realize this because I have been sleeping plenty and soundly. However, my brain has a lot to process and probably has required even more sleep. I've noticed a symptom of this subtle deprivation: earworm. If I wake up with a song in my head that just won't quit, I know I haven't had enough sleep. Today, it was a couple of songs from the Scrubs musical episode. I don't love Scrubs that much!

But I'm happy I'm tired. I'm actually at the point where I don't want to run everyday anymore. That means I pushed the effort, and thus will improve (hopefully).

Today the dog and I jogged 11.6 miles. It was a pretty muddy run. I was stiff at first but that wore off after a few miles and then it became easy. Slow, but easy. The river is swollen but we were still able to run on (most of) the dirt trail beside it.

No comments: