Tuesday, April 12, 2011

gluten free

I met with my doctor yesterday and she told me I have to be more careful with avoiding gluten: I probably have colitis again. But it's almost gone now. After a few months' descent on the exhilarating slope of pain-granted freedom (hey, take a chance if it hurts already), culminating in my final consumption of a particular Persian honey treat with possibly a hint of flour, I turned the train around and have been very careful the past few weeks. But there is still more work to be done. My doctor gave me some more info; turns out that I wasn't avoiding gluten as much as I thought I was.

Gluten is also possibly in deli meats and flavoured coffees, baked beans, imitation crab and vegetarian meat substitutes (?!)

Gluten is probably all over Tim Hortons so that's out now (I had a reaction from my last coffee there). That goes for other places where servers are handling a bunch of wheat products.

Gluten is probably on a few kitchen things that I haven't replaced yet, a couple cutting boards, mixing bowls, and measuring cups.

Gluten is in some teas (barley).

Gluten is possibly in sticks of opened butter at other people's houses (toast crumbs).

And I have to be *that person* when ordering at restaurants. :( Sometimes I am, sometimes I guess....no more guessing now.

AND READ LABELS EVERY TIME EVEN IF I'VE BOUGHT THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT UMPTEEN TIMES BEFORE. And questionable stuff like unspecified maltodextrin is no good anymore.

It was good to have my doctor talk some sense into me. I haven't gone through the gamut of celiac tests so I've been considering myself 'gluten intolerant', but this does not have the requisite gravitas. Not like "Gluten tears into my small intestine like a thousand thousand knives." I don't need the label, but the visual helps!

this time, I came off pretty lightly--some gut pain, some mouth sores, a bit of muscle tiredness which could also be attributed to weights, plus whatever was going on with SVT (not a prob anymore)...not bad! I have enough time to recover fully for race weekend.

Meanwhile:

Sat: 3.6ish miles, situps, legs (weights + exercises)
Sun: 15ish miles, situps, arms
Mon: 7ish miles
Tues: 8ish miles, situps, core

Tomorrow I plan to rejoin (again) run club for some speedwork.

2 comments:

Fran said...

So sad to hear that the Persian sweet treats were nasty contributors. I'm sure they didn't mean to be!

We'll ask about the bubble tea ingredients. Hope you're feeling better!

cs said...

Thanks, and I am feeling a lot better! I figured that the Persian sweets would contribute to the issue, but it was such a small portion, and worth it. Guess I'll ask about Plan B: jalebi.

And, yes, I'll have to find out about bubble tea. seems to be ok, but gotta ask. So, what are you doing this Sunday?