Friday, December 31, 2010

?

Last run of 2010!!! Tempo!

I was more sore than yesterday; I noticed this last week too. Perhaps I need more time to recover from the speedwork/weights combo on Wednesday. An additional factor this week was gluten: I am recovering from recent 'cross-contamination', but I've had night sweats the past few nights, including last night, so things are still not quite right.

I could move my tempo run to Saturday, the day before the long run. This has worked well in the past. However, my long run is more tiring for me these days, so I think I'll keep the old schedule a week longer to see if there's any improvement.

Anyway, I had heavy legs today.

2 X 15 min: 8:11/mile (1.83 miles) and 7:53/mile(1.90 miles)

The first interval was more daunting, nearly doubling my previous tempo interval (1 mile), so I took it kind of easy, I guess. The second interval was back-to-the-barn-faster, and it felt biomechanically better. And once it started, I could feel that there was more than just one interval in me, which was reassuring. I guess that was my main concern!

It was kind of silly. When I resumed running this fall, my foot didn't permit jogging--all of my running was at about 'tempo' pace and my longest runs were 20 minutes and then 10 more after a five minute walk. So 2X 15 with a five minute walk in between shouldn't have been a big deal.

But I goofed. I thought I had only 2 minutes. It felt ok but probably scared me a little.

Next week, I'll give myself the full 5 minutes (and try to mentally veil the lengthening of the tempo intervals to 20 minutes each). And I'm going to remind myself that that pace used to be fine, used to be the only option. I think I'm more tired now because I've run 6X a week the past two weeks instead of 3-4X. But I like running more more!

I have drifted off the Daniels' plan onto my run club's schedule, even though I'm running with the club just once a week. It's nice to be able to do the club workouts again. And it's nice to be wearing the Garmin again. I didn't miss it much until recently but it feels right and fresh to wear it now.

Accordingly, I have just deleted all my saved runs. No more baggage!

2011 will be a good year. I woke up thinking that this morning for some reason. It feels a lot more positive than the dawn of 2010 did. We have some major changes in store, mainly another move, but when and to where? but I'm still feeling considerably more optimistic than I was about 2010.

No comments: