Tuesday, November 2, 2010

day? lentil and carrot soup

The dog and I walked about 40 minutes with my husband this morning, and then the dog and I ran. 2 X 10 min, 3 min recovery. Lately, I've been feeling a bit jaded about my running plans; though things have been going well, I didn't feel like I was going in the right direction. I needed a change. Last night, I flipped through a Daniels book, the newer one, and looked at his white plan or whatever it's called--it's the beginner runner plan. I figured I was almost at the 3rd level, which mainly consists of 3X 10 min one or two days, and 4X 8 min the other day, and possibly something else on the weekend (I forget); anyway, I decided to try 2X 10 min this week and hopefully do the full plan the following two weeks. Will see!

My main goal was to try to find a pace that was fast enough so that my foot didn't hurt, but less intense, more sustainable. I wanted to keep to 4-2 breathing...that didn't quite work because there were inclines and I felt that I couldn't slow down on those, but I was almost in a comfortable aerobic zone. My foot felt fine until I ran out of road, so to speak: I got to the locks. IT's a pretty steep hill there and I could have kept my heart rate up by walking briskly, but pride prevailed and I ran and eventually I got slower and my foot started to complain. It's a steep enough hill that I don't think my heels touch it, which isn't good for my foot either. Next time, I'll expand my loop. I hadn't realized that it wouldn't be enough. Mapmyrun puts my 10 minute intervals at 1.24 and 1.21 miles. I'm trying not to care how far I go, but I am curious for more than planning reasons. I'm going to find my comfortable pace by feel, and maybe once that gets sorted out, I'll indulge my stats cravings with Garmin. Maybe next year.

Anyway, it went well, I think! First time in a while running up and down inclines. I'll see if I do the same sort of workout tomorrow, or take a rest.

As for cross-training, I'm doing 55 situps after runs, and I'm getting back into morning yoga and pushups.

Stairs? I got sick of them, I guess.

No comments: