Monday, November 4, 2013

Tapering!

I'm once again dealing with a dietary reaction, but the weather is very agreeable.  Only 10 C this morning!  Easy 80 minute jog. 

At any rate, the last back-to-back runs didn't happen this weekend, and now it's time to rest.

Easy running so I don't forget how to run
Lots of fluids to eliminate present gut inflammation
Lots of sleep to get out of debt
Supplements, mainly iron to plump up those RBCs.  Even on trails, I squash a fair number of them and it doesn't help that I seem to be back to renting food.  (The bright side is, dropping a few pounds sensibly will make things more comfortable on race day!)
A bit of weight lifting to keep the springs

I feel undertrained but in otherwise decent shape.  The back tightness I was dealing with recently is mostly gone, and though the previous glitch in my left Achilles returned, it was not en force and I didn't even feel it this morning.  The gluten-related inflammation is a bummer, though, and the same seemingly disparate quirks have returned: sore guts, yep, left knee somehow slides out of joint in my sleep and locks, yep (my right one does too, but my left one leads the way), weird respiratory discomfort, yep, right shoulder tightness, yep.  But nothing is that bad and I have almost two weeks to get rid of it all. 

Time to play gluten FBI.  Possible culprits include a certain "gluten-free" beer--the gluten is removed and the batch tested to below 5 ppm, which seemed fine.  Gluten-free food, at least in the States, just has to test below 20 ppm, and I don't think I've ever had any issues with that limit. And I had just one sip.  One delicious sip, followed by a sinking feeling: I don't think I should be drinking this.  Maybe I was right.

I've also eaten a bit of Hallowe'en candy, just stuff that is gluten-free according to manufacturers, but it's not stuff that's tested and I don't need to be eating it anyway.   It had been a few weeks since I'd eaten candy, and I'd lost the taste for it, and I ate it mainly because I was bored!  Serves me right!

I haven't eaten out in weeks, and haven't eaten anything else that I usually don't eat except for a new kind of almond meal; there's not much else that can account for it.

2 comments:

Fran said...

So the gluten response team is back at work after a short strike, eh? I hope you and your guts feel all better before your big race! ::Exciting::

Found a great tutorial on ITBS prevention and since the fella advises pistols n' clams, I thought of you!

http://strengthrunning.com/2011/02/the-itb-rehab-routine-video-demonstration/

cs said...

Thanks, and I am pumped! It'll be a new experience for sure.

Thanks for the anti-ITBS demo--it looks familiar. Have you linked it before? At any rate, it's a solid routine!